Thursday 21 February 2013



This week has been a week of visits around the Manchester area... First stop was the Manchester museum and gallery to see the works of Raqib Shaw. Although this exhibition could be seen to be a little bit offensive to some, and maybe a little bit twisted. I was particulary interested in going to see his works because of his illustrative style, but also because of the way he mixes his media from pencil drawings combined with paints and everything is outlined in a gold enamel paint. He says it took him 13 years to make the exhibition collate together, and judging by the fine detail of his work you can see why it has taken him so long. At first you were greeted by by an outside installation display of twigs/branches combined with florals and moss which wrapped itself around the gallery front. that alone was a big eyecatcher.

Once you entered the gallery you were greeted at the top of the stairs, again, by more foliage and florals, but also a huge swan that had been made holding in his wings a man/bat which was amazing.

Take a look at some of his art work that is exhibited within the gallery.

Once I had been to the Gallery, it was then onto Platt hall to look at the clothes they had on display. I had asked to see some of Vivienne Westwoods, because I am doing my main final piece around the style of her corsetted dress, this needed to be booked in advance and can take a couple of weeks to set up. I also went to the Whitworth gallery soon after. As I had been so impressed with seeing the Raqib Shaw exhibtion, I was excited to go again, which is what I have done today, as I knew that I would be in Manchester anyway to do some research around store visits to lok at the fashions and accessories that are currently out in stores.






No comments:

Post a Comment