Friday 15 February 2013

Since I last wrote my blog, I have tried to get a couple of visits in as mentioned, one to a printing factory and one to see a lady who prints in the design centre in Manchester. Lucy Gaughan, trying to compare the two between mass production of print and working within a small studio as this is something that I am interested in doing for myself, so I thought it would be beneficial to ask questions related to setting up as a freelance designer and how she had gone about it.... Unfortunately for me the two were unable to offer any assistance. The silk printing company emailed to say, due to health and safety legislation and confidentiality agreements they were unable to allow visitors into there premises and Lucy from the design centre has emailed to say that she is actually closing her studio at the end of the month, but she did advise that if, I wanted to work from a studio of my own, it would be better that quite a few went in to work together because its hard work trying to keep it going alone...... Anyway, today I took my son George into Bolton with me because he is on school holidays, so we went to the museum and there was a lovely display on a lady from Bolton who was big in the 50's called Constance Howarth, she was a textile designer who made it big in the print industry from her home town, and her work was loved over in America. All her prints were hand painted too... Here are some pictires of her work and illustrations from her sketch book. I particulary like her blue bird pattern on branches. All hand painted!!
 
 
 














 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment